5th International research conference on virtual worlds – Learning with simulations
21-23 November, 2013
Slactions 2013 is the fifth edition of SLACTIONS, the original international conference held simultaneously in several countries on the topic of virtual worlds and metaverse platforms.
This edition initiates a cooperation with the VS-GAMES conference, on the form of the workshop “Technology Challenges of Virtual Worlds in Education & Training towards widespread adoption.”…
Slactions looks forward to receive contributions of research results, case studies, panel discussions, and demonstrations that scholars, educators, and businesses can port to their own environments and apply in their research, teaching, and business strategy. We will accept papers from the full spectrum of intellectual disciplines and technological endeavors in which metaverse platforms are currently being used: from Education to Business, Sociology to Social Sciences, Media Production to Technology Development, Architecture and Urban Planning to the Arts.
The 2013 edition includes the theme “Learning with simulations”. Special panels/workshops will convey this theme. The use of simulations in learning is now an important field of research in education and professional development, and virtual worlds/metaverse platforms play a significant role in this context. So join us for Slactions 2013, where researchers can present and discuss developments in simulations aiming to assist learning in science and technology education.
Topics covered may include but are not limited to:
● Education and Learning Perspectives (e.g., learning with simulations in science education, educational use of virtual worlds)
● Computer Science and HCI Perspectives (e.g., systems integration, content generation, automated behaviours, user experience)
● Social Science Perspectives (e.g., communication, behavioural studies, law, sociology, anthropology)
● Arts and Humanities Perspectives (e.g., creativity, design, embodiment, art)
● Business, Management, and Economics Perspectives (e.g., e-business, e-commerce, non.profit, methods, processes, best practices)
Slactions has the format of a hybrid online and physical conference. All paper presentations and plenary sessions by guest speakers will be held in an online virtual world (instrucions will be provided in the conference website), and projected locally at local chapters, for participants attending physically. Physical participants can interact with the online participants via a “physical chapter avatar” and microphone.
Workshops and other events may also take place locally in specific chapters or in mixed format across several participating chapters.
Authors are invited to submit:
● A full paper of eight to ten pages for oral presentation
● A “work in progress” paper of 4 pages for oral presentation
● A Flickr image or YouTube video, indexed with the tag “slactions2013” for poster presentations ‘in-world’
● A live presentation in an online virtual world.
All submissions are subject to a double blind review process and should be professionally proofread before submission. All manuscripts should be formatted according to the ASIS&T proceedings template. (Disclaimer: SLACTIONS is not associated with ASIS&T.)
All accepted papers and posters will be published online and in ISBN-registered digital proceedings. Video posters and live presentations can submit an abstract for inclusion in the digital proceedings.
The authors of the best papers will be invited to provide revised and expanded versions for publications in special editions of journals or as single contributions to theme-specific journals, including a special issue of an SSCI-indexed journal.
Check out www.slactions.org regularly for more information and developments on the proceedings publisher and journal venues for best papers.
Official language of the conference
The official language for the online space and all submissions is English only. However, at the physical site of local chapters you can also use the native language of that location.
● Submissions deadline:
○ Main Slactions conference 1st Call: June 30, 2013
○ Main Slactions conference 2nd Call: July 25, 2013 (Deadline Extended)
● September 9, 2013 – Submission results provided for main Slactions conference submissions
● September 11-13, 2013 – Slactions workshop in VS-GAMES conference
● October 10, 2013 – Deadline for print-ready versions of Slactions main conference papers
● November 21-23, 2013 – Main Slactions conference
Workshop at VS-GAMES 2013, Bournemouth, UK
We’re inviting submissions on the current technology challenges of virtual worlds in education and training, towards widespread adoption of these platforms. Authors are invited to submit papers on the matter of making technology available to educational actors, the matter of content production, the matter of large scale deployment & systems integration, and more.
This workshop will take place on September 13th, at Bournemouth, UK, as part of the VS-GAMES 2013 conference. More information at: http://www.vsgames2013.org/p/workshops.html